National Veggie Week
Did you know it’s National Vegetarian week, if you haven’t tried Chris’ Chili
Paneer; here’s his recipe you can make at home!
500g diced paneer
1 green pepper - diced
1 or 2 red chilli - depending on size & heat you like!
1 red onion - diced
2 garlic cloves - finely sliced
2cm ginger - finely chopped
8 fresh curry leaves
1 tin chopped tomato – or 5 fresh
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
1 tbs tamarind
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbs curry powder
2 tsp sweet paprika
3 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tbs fresh coriander - chopped
1 cup of oil for frying in a pan – or use a fryer
2 tbs of ghee or oil for frying the curry
1. Heat a pan with a cup of oil
2. Dice the paneer & coat with the cornflour –
season the corn flour with salt, pepper & add
a pinch of ground cumin – fry until golden,
leave on kitchen paper to drain.
1. In another pan, heat the ghee then temper (cooking the spices separately) the mustard seed, cumin seeds & curry leaf, then add the garlic & ginger. Fry for a minute then add the chilli, green peppers & onion. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes then add all the dry spices to coat all the vegetables.
2. Now add the tomatoes, followed by the water, cook for a further 10 minutes then add the sweet chilli sauce & paneer cook for around 30 minutes.
3. Now add the tamarind & soy sauce, cook for a further 5 minutes then adjust to taste and finish the fresh coriander & serve.