Plastic free July is an annual global initiative to raise awareness in ways we can reduce plastic consumption. Started in 2011, today it has inspired an estimated 326 million participants in 177 countries. In the UK alone we dispose an estimated 295 billion pieces of plastic waste every year! Much of this plastic is single-use and not recycled.
See tips below in how we can make a difference in reducing further damage to our environment.
1. Carry a reusable bag everywhere with you. You can purchase ones that fold small enough to fit into your handbag, or coat pocket - No need to pay for a plastic bag again in the supermarket.
2. Buy a reusable coffee cup, most coffee shops would welcome reusable coffee cups.
3. Buy a water bottle, water can be refilled anywhere. This doesn’t just save the planet but also money spent on buying bottled water. If you’re like me and love sparkling water, why not invest in a soda stream
4. Buy loose fruit: The amount of packaging on foods such as fruit and vegetables is unnecessary, try to buy loose fruit and vegetables, and recycle the plastic packaging where possible.
5. Avoid using disposable cutlery and straws, instead opt for reusables. Reusable travel cutlery and straws can be purchased.