350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g butter, cut into cubes
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
*squeeze lemon juice
beaten egg, to glaze
1. Pre heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Tip the flour into a large bowl with the salt & baking powder, then mix. Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2. Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until
warm, but not hot. Add the vanilla and lemon juice, then set aside for a moment. Put a baking sheet in the oven.
3. Make a well in the dry mix, add the liquid & combine it quickly with a cutlery knife – it will seem pretty wet at first. Scatter some flour onto the worksurface & tip the dough out. Dredge the dough & your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a rounds about 4cm deep.
4. Take a 5cm cutter (smooth-edged cutter is best & dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. Brush the tops with beaten egg, and then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
5. Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with jam & clotted cream.
If freezing, freeze once cool. Defrost, then put in a low oven (about 160C/fan140C/gas 3) for a few mins to refresh.